Avast Ye! It be ‘Talk Like A Pirate Day’ this Friday.
Honestly. You didn’t think I’d let ‘Talk Like A Pirate Day’ pass without any mention, did you? It’s like you don’t even know me…
I feel like this holiday was MADE for us. Being the AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRS family and all.
This year we’re celebrating with a Pirate Play Kit–a play box filled with imagination and activities. You can use our list or create your own. We actually had several of these items on hand already. You just might, as well. And if not, we’re posting a few days early so you can hit that dollar store!
You’re welcome. ;)
A few ideas for your kit:
- A small or medium container
- A foam pirate sword
- eye patch
- bandana or pirate hat (or make your own)
- BOOTY! (we re-purposed our gold rocks from this post)
- Ocean animals (we went with sharks for obvious reasons)
- Paper Towel Tube (telescope)
- A large block or piece of wood (to use as a plank)
- A Treasure Map (make your own or use this one)
- Any pirate figurine (I chose a Ninja. Close enough, right?)
- An empty plastic bottle
I’ll be leaving the kit out for the boys to find first thing Friday morning. I can’t WAIT to see their faces.
My game plan is to let them free-play as long as they will, and then we’ll use the rest of our time for some fun activities.
- Go on a treasure hunt: I made a map of our backyard, where the gold booty will be waiting. ;)
- Walk the Plank: Fill your container up with water and add the ocean animals. Then use the block to make a plank and let their imagination run wild!
- Make a Pirate Telescope: Let them decorate the paper towel tube however they please, then take it outside and test it out!
- Make a message in a bottle: Write (or draw) a letter and take it to a friend or a neighbor.
ARRRRRRR. It be enough t’keep them scallywags busy day and night.
How was that? Pretty good? I’m fluent in Pirate, you know. Little known fact.
Enjoy! And happy Talk Like a Pirate Day!